Information and advice for attending the UKGE as a member of the press
Download the 2017 Press Release(pdf)
Or as a Word document
You can also download a selection of images.
We have a zip file of banners and adverts for placing on webpages.
What is UK Games Expo?
UK Games Expo (UKGE) is the largest Hobby Games Convention in the UK - where all aspects of the gaming hobby are represented under one roof.
- Now in its 11th Year.
- 25,000 visitors over three days (12500 unique visitors).
- 225+ Exhibitors
- Hundreds of seats in tournaments
- Male/ female mix around 65/35
- High numbers of families and children.
- Strong core of hobby games enthusiasts
- Good opportunity to demo and sell products.
When is it?
UK Games Expo is held on the weekend after the late May Bank Holiday. UKGE 2017 will be held on June 2nd - 4th.
Where is it?
It is held in the UK's largest convention centre National Exhibition Centre (NEC), Birmingham. This year we will be using Hall 1& Hall 3a NEC and the NEC Hilton Hotel.
Attending UKGE as a Press Member
In principal we are happy to give press passes to TV, radio, Print Media, Podcasts, online magazines and You Tube channels who cover gaming particularly Hobby Gaming. What we ask is that IN ADVANCE of UKGE you feature/ mention our show.
An example would be this: http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/blog/uk-games-expo-2015/
This might include linking to the website, linking to the above mentioned press release, mentioning us on twitter and facebook etc.
Afterwards we ask for some form of report or feature in your publication/blog or podcast.
The people with press passes MUST be genuinely involved in the journalistic side of the visits. IE Taking photos, recording etc.
Qualification for Press Pass
If you are a journalist for TV, radio, newspaper, magazine or online journal/podcast and wish to cover UK Games Expo please fill in the application form and send it to Mick Pearson [Press-Media Manager] and he will arrange press passes for appropiate organistions.
Information for Press Attending UK Games Expo 2017
This information is designed for Press, Media and Journalists attending the UK Games Expo.
UK Games Expo is held on Friday 2nd to Sunday 4th June 2017. It is held in:
Hall 1 and Hall 3a National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham, West Midlands B40 1NT
The NEC Hilton Hotel, Pendigo Way, Marston Green, Birmingham, West Midlands B40 1PP
Press Passes are collected on arrival at our main desk at the Entrance to Hall One on either THU afternoon between noon and 7pm on 1st June or during the show. They will be held under “Press/your Blog, Magazine or Podcast/your name.”
In 2017 we will be granting press access for two hours prior to opening the Trade Halls to the general public on the Friday.
This will be at 9.00 to 10.45 am on Friday 3rd June in the Open Gaming Space in Hall 1.
This area will have tables laid out and Exhibitors who wish to bring new games and products to show can reserve a table to lay out their wares.
We expect to have 50+ Press and Media journalists and Podcasters present.
If you wish to attend please let Mick know. We will issue you with details of the companies attending the Press Preview. The exhibitors will be give details of the media attending and they may contact you in advance to tell you about their products.
Attend at the front desk between 9.00 and 9.15 to be allowed access to the Preview Event.
When the Preview event ends the general public will be allowed access.
This year we will have a Press Facility. This will be a small Press Area with tables and chairs for you to use for interviews along with electrical sockets for recharging of devices and setting up recording. This is Open to anyone with a Press Pass.
The trade hall this year will be located in Hall 1 of the NEC. This trade hall comprises of 14000 sqm of space. There will be over 225 exhibitors showing all forms of tabletop gaming. In addition to trade, Hall 1 will also contain:
• The Family Zone – Large specially designed area to attract families to learn and play new games together staffed by specially trained demonstrators.
• The Board Games Library – After last year’s great success Thirsty Meeples Gaming Cafe will be staffing the UKGE board games library consisting of nearly a thousand board games that the general public can borrow.
• Open Gaming Area – There will be enough space set aside in the trade hall for up to a thousand gamers to sit and play at any one time free of charge.
We are using 5000 sqm ofHall 3a for most of the tournaments and organised play: • Tournaments for from 16 to 250 players!
Here we make use of 3500 sqm of space to run:
• The UK’s Largest and most varied roleplaying schedule – hundreds of games over 8 sessions on 3 days.
• LARP type events.
• Open gaming for 2000+ gamers.
• A second board game library at night.
• Eentertainment including concerts and live gaming events.
• Food festival.
• Bars and craft beer stand.
Beware that the hotels in the area get very full during UK Games Expo. For details on accomodation in the area please visit our accomodation page.